Terms & Conditions - Good Causes
We want the Bexley Community Lottery to support as many good causes as possible in Bexley. Good causes are not limited to registered charities only and can include:
- Community interest companies;
- Social enterprises.
As good causes are joining under the London Borough of Bexley’s gambling licence (Gambling Act 2005) we have to ensure that organisations meet certain criteria. Support will be offered to groups to help them meet the criteria. There is no application fee or costs associated with being registered as a good cause.
To register as a good cause, you will be asked to provide:
- Organisation's name,
- Key contact and role,
- Good cause’s address, telephone number and email address
- Good causes website and/or facebook page
- Logo – if you don’t have one, we can set you up with a default logo to start with and you’ll be able to change it and any other details at any time.
- Blurb on the good cause
Once you have registered, we will then need you to confirm your eligibility.
If you are a member of BVSC you are likely to be eligible for the lottery. However, the lottery criteria is as follows.
Your organisation must
- Provide community activities or services within Bexley, which are of benefit to the residents of Bexley;
- Have a constitution, or memorandum and articles of association for a company limited by guarantee (but not share capital) clearly setting out aims and objects;
- Have a voluntary management committee i.e. a group of people who receive no financial advantage except that which is allowed under charity law;
- Have a bank account in the group’s name, or be willing to set one up, with at least two signatories who are unrelated and not living at the same address;
- Operate with no undue restrictions on membership.
And be able to demonstrate that you are a non-profit organisation by being one of the following
- A constituted group with a volunteer management committee with a minimum of three unrelated members that meet at least three times per year;
- A registered charity, with a board of trustees;
- A registered Community Interest Company, and provide copies of your Community Interest Statement, details of the Asset Lock included in your Memorandum and Articles of Association, and a copy of your latest annual community interest report.
In addition, we require Good Causes to have:
- A Safeguarding Children’s and/or Adults policy depending on whether your group works with children/adults
- An equalities/equal opportunities policy
The following kind of organisations will not be eligible to register as a Good Cause:
- Organisations that are deemed by the Bexley Community Lottery team to do the majority of their work outside the boundaries of Bexley;
- Organisations which aim to distribute a profit;
- Organisations with no established management committee/board of trustees (unless a CIC);
- Organisation that are deemed to be a political party, has the nature of a political party, or is engaged in campaigning for a political purpose or cause;
- Organisations that engage in proselytism. However, this does not preclude faith based organisations that are applying for assistance specifically for their organisation’s social, community or welfare work that is to the benefit of the wider community.
We are also unable to accept applications that are incomplete.
The Bexley Community Lottery team reserves the right to reject an application for any reason and to undertake further checks as necessary.
The council will reserve the right not to accept or cease to licence any organisation with a minimum of 7 days notes for any reason. If fraudulent or illegal activity is suspected, cessation will be immediate.
Click here for more information on BVSC membership and the support that they provide good causes in Bexley: https://bvsc.co.uk
Once approved on the platform, you will receive:
- Your own webpage on the Bexley Community Lottery website - with no set-up fees. You can edit your logo and description
- You will get 50p from every paid ticket supporting your cause that is entered into a weekly draw
- Monthly payment of the money you’ve raised through Bexley Community Lottery - with no banking fees
- An online dashboard to track the performance of your lottery page
- A lottery helpline to help your players with any queries they may have
- Professionally prepared, seasonal marketing materials. Provided digitally in a range of formats.